MMMMMM Sushi!!
I'm interested in current events, trends, statistics, psychology, humanity... the world. I'm interested in the world, and particularly, the world without God... which is what the world is in a biblical sense of the word I guess. But anyway. I'm interested in all these things. Very much so. I would love to have become a journalism student except that in the end... I don't think I'm as interested in the disciplined llife of it as I am in the casual observance of all things journalistic. I like taking classes but may not if my career depended on it.
I'm thinking right now about Target. Coudln't you tell??
Apparently Target was born as The Dayton Foundation, and was strictly a retail business back in the very early 1900's. Can you believe how long ago that was? Now the TARGET name was born in the 1960's. I had no clue that hippies had a Target to shop at, bulls eye and all. The Target I remember from childhood came to be in the 90's - that's when Target Greatland's and Super Target's began debuting.
I can still recall that Target had a certain scent to it that woo'd me. There was something so exciting about walking into a Target - it just REEKED of new toys!! Somehow it was brighter, colder, and bigger in a Target than say a Walmary or a Toys R Us. I remember saving and saving and saving to finally pluck a Gymnastics Gold Medal Barbie off the Target shelves and take home.
Now-a-days Super Target's are grocery stores. I was shopping in a Winn Dixie the other day b/c it was near the cats I was sitting. Otherwise I can't imagine I'd shop at a Winn Dixie - but I needed to replace some of the foodie goodie's I'd borrow while sitting so. There I was. in front of me was a woman buying bananas and apples, and looking for a coffee shop. Her English accent gave her tourist status away (this was on the beach). She seemed overwhelmed looking at the folks around her and their purchases (low income types tend to frequent Winn Dixies, and I observe that immigrants of low incomes eat ethnic food and really nasty american products like fruit rollups chips and oreos and just kinda grossy un food ish foods). The point is - Target being a grocery store is probably absurd to some people because a grocery store to them should be a market!
Granted most Americans probably don't think this way and well... I still shop at Target as well - but I tend to think to myself that this is because of hte lack of fresh markets available more than anything else.
So while I shop the Target isles, as concious as I am of consumer rip-off and kitsy packaging that wins us gals over despite gross ingredients, I still earnestly seek out the Archer Farms brand. Let's talk about it. It's a smart label... it's packaged DISTRINCTLY and attractively and everywhere it is found, it offers up something that other brands don't offer and that is a vast array of specific spins and ingredient combos and flavors that are creative and modern and appealling. THere is even the Organic line of Archer Farm's foods - some of it carries the requisit USDA approval seal, but some of it doesn't... I'm highly suspicious of just how organic this disctount-store's brand of organic food really is - and yet I reach for it over and over again. It is expensive and suspicious to me but I am romanced by the flavors and the packaging and the idea of having a pantry full of matching foods... as silly as that sounds... heh....
So the Organic Archer Farms was born around Fall 2006 and I guess I just had to come confess to the blogosphere that even though I might be swindled out of money and not getting as optimal of nutrition as I'd like... I'm still swayed enough to trot down Target's isles like a well fed bunny looking for the best carrots. Yeah... I likey the Target.
I love trying their different dips / marinades / and sauces - particular favorite so far is a Spinach Artichoke Dip, and today I decided to purchase 100 Cal Packs of Espresso Flavored Cookies. I'm excited to get back to work, be busy, and back on my food schedule. Although I'm really liking this break. A lot.
December 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment