The Bible talks a lot about fasting. Alot, alot. I seem to have the experience that people just breeze by that word whenever it pops up in the bible. As in... yeah they fasted back THEN but surely we, in all our gluttony, aren't expected to fast NOWadays. Okay so I've exaggerated, and rudely at that. But the pt is - some of the most Godly people I know don't seem to fast... or maybe it's something private for them, as the bible actually says it should be (Matt 6:16). But the point is... God has told us to fast and pray.
Now, this blog: www.girltalk.com has been teaching me a bit abotu fasting and in that odd coincidence that proves God's heavenly existence, I've also been hearing a slew about it in an awesome new book I read (Basic Steps To Godly Fitness). Moreover - the chapters I've been working through in the Bible these past few weeks are chapters with much to say about fasting... so fasting's been on the mind.
Here's what I've learned: fasting and prayer are used in times of great needs. When your prayer request needs some urgency - and don't they all? - to FAST puts emphasis on your petition. You might say - well then I would always need to be fasting because there is nothing I ask of God in vain! It's all dire and important. Very well - but obviously we are not prepared physically in our day and age and human body to fast for 40 days and nights like Jesus did, so what are we to do? I've learned that many folks have a certain meal, or day each week that they spend fasting.
Now how does fasting and prayiong work? Does one stay on bended knee all day long? No - obviously you SHOULD be bent over praying for much of the day/meal b/c the purpose of the fast is prayer and seeking God's grace... but that twinge of hunger whether thoughout the hours or day should be a constant reminder that your work is not done - should turn you back to God.
How does one like me handle this new knowledge? I've been reasoning that I am at in a season where I am needily waiting on the Lord's guidance, answers, and provisions... and yet am I someone who should be fasting?
Maybe not - maybe one meal a week would do me well... but here's the thing. We can fast with means other than food. Fasting from television - from the computer... you get the point. The idea is to redirect the energy and fullfillment that would have been spent on some earthly pleasure into prayer and time with the Lord. To deny oneself and ask of God.
I haven't succeeded yet... I've thought I would fast a "meal" several times the past week but hunger has overtaken me and I have coddled myself and said - well it's too soon for this recovered anorectic. I don't think that's true - I think that's satan's voice... I think that hunger is exactly what should drive me to my knees to pray so that GOd may work MORE abundantly in my life.
As far as fasting from television and other vices... I don't spend much time with the telly these days and I"ve gotten pretty good about turning the computer off at a certain time and using it for good, not laziness.
The point is I have so much that I have asked of the Lord... I need to spend some time talking and waiting, seeking, and listening and meditating and may those pangs of hunger (which for long were lost and unknown! praise God for them!) remind me who provides for me and how much more so He can and will (if He will - that is if it's His will).
January 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment