November 08, 2007

Product Reviews

I've sampled some new products recently.

Newman's Own Dark Choc Caramel Cups

http://www.newmansownorganics.com/food_peanut.html

I like how there are three little cups rather than two biggish ones like the reeses that this product is originally based on. I think the portion is just fine for satisfaction. I've had the peanut butter cups before and they are far superior to these caramel cups.

The caramel in this cup is bland and dry and there is only a small slather of it. Newman's Own chocolate has always come across as dry and stale-tasting to me, and these were no exception.

So why buy them at all? They're cheap as organic product lines go. :)

Lara Bar: Jocolat
Chocolate Mint

I'd read hype on this product - I'm very interested in products that contain minimal ingredients. WHen I cook something up in te=he kitchen there is a stash of ingredients I draw from and they never include foreign scientific stuff... and yet what I prepare is tasty... so when I read an ingredient list if it is longer than my pinky finger I immediately stuff it back on the shelf. Sometimes I have to settle because I guess certain little scientific add ins preserve food and give it colors, though unneccesary and all that... but anyway. This product has under 10 ingredients per bar or something like that... which is impressive for a nutrition-bar, which this is.

http://www.celticseasalt.com/Chocolate_Mint_J_335_calat_Ba_P1850C263.cfm

The taste is odd... it's not a chocolate-mint taste by ANY means... it's not bad... but I might just be saying that because I think ti's good nutrition... my brain and taste buds may have made a bargain in order for me to write that... I'm simply unsure. All I know is... it wasn't gross... but it was nothing close to chocolatey-minty-yummy.


Pacific Foods Roasted Red Pepper Soup

http://www.pacificfoods.com/products-soups.php

I was interested in this from the packaging alone. For the packaging only, actually. The soup comes in a little carton like a single serving of Horizon's milk, for example. I thought I would take it to work or something... but then I didn't. I took a Black Bean Soup instead... which was from a can, not a cute little carton... and I'd already deposited it in tupperware to boot so... the purchase for package concept was really poorly executed here.

Nonetheless, it was delish. It was creamy, and flavorful and the little package turned out to be VERY convenient cause our can opener stinks.

Live Active Cheddar Cheese Sticks

Very thick and cheddary - very filling. Loved eating one with almonds for a snack. Don't know if those live cultures did anything, though.


And then Coffee Mate's Pralines and Cream, Creamer.

ONe word folks - amazing. So delish.

No comments: