I never realized during the year(s) I was underweight just how dehydrated I was until I started working at the preschool over a year ago.
Before that I'd had two 'fainting' spells when I'd been in severely hot weather and wouldn't drink much (because I thought I'd look fat or swollen or something - I've experienced some edema since) but otherwise I just didn't notice thirst.
One day, at the pschool, after we'd been out in the 90degree weather and were handing out the kids drinks, the girl I was working with turned to me and (with her flushed cheeks and sweaty forehead) asked, "Do you want a drink?"
I know I was somewhat hot out in that weather, but getting a drink, and wanting a drink hadn't crossed my mind. I had no intention of getting a drink. But having her ask me, struck me - it seemed so necessary and natural to her that a person wants a drink after exposure to that kind of weather.
I was just drinking some water and thinking about how many times I drank water today.
When I became determined to commit my body and eating habits to God several months ago, drinks were kind of secondary to me. I drank a lot of coffee then b/c it still felt "Safe" to me and I still hardly drank at the P-school b/c I don't get to go to the bathroom often and I didn't want the annoyance or bloated stomach. I used to bring in my own special drinks thinking that it would be a nice way to intake liquid, but I could literally bring the same 8oz bottle all week without drinking it all.
At one pt I began drinking Kefir and I bet that helped me pack on some lbs (haha). That was good. It was an organic brand (Nancy's) that just really made my stomach feel well. It's a bit expensive for me now and I guess I don't really feel I need it. If I came across it at a good price I would buy it... I like it's interesting taste too... i digress
I decided eventually that I was going to start drinking water. I wasn't looking forward to the experience b/c I knew I would become bloated and retain water at first. So essentially I knew I wasn't as well hydrated as I should be. And I did experience all that and I do have to find creative ways to get bathroom breaks during the day - but it's great to thirst and then drink and be well.
My Father's grace. I was also thinking today, I would be lonely if I didn't have Jesus to talk to.
June 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment